Yesterday was our Thanksgiving potluck at work. Whenever we have potlucks I always sign up for dessert. It’s my thing. This year I decided to bring cookies n cream cupcakes.
Since it was a weeknight I took the easy way out and used a cake mix. I know there are some people out there that frown upon using cake mixes but when it’s a weeknight and you’re dead tired you gotta do what you gotta do.
I’m sharing the recipe with you if you’d like to try them. The idea is not original and has been done in many ways. I just took a cake mix and used the eggs, oil and water according to the directions. Then I added a little vanilla extract and crushed Oreos. Easy peasy. I altered my vanilla-almond buttercream by taking out the almond and making enough to ice approximately 24 cupcakes.
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 24 Oreos, chopped *
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 3/4 cup solid vegetable shortening**
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar (approx 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- 12 Oreos cut into quarters for garnish***
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with liners (makes approximately 24).
- In the bowl of your mixer add the cake mix, vanilla, eggs, oil and water. Mix on low until everything is combined.
- Increase to medium speed and mix for another two minutes.
- Add the cookies and mix on low until they are combined. They will crush but that's ok.
- Fill liners 2/3 full. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter and shortening until creamy.
- Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add all of the powdered sugar to the bowl and pour milk on top.
- Start by mixing on low until the frosting starts coming together then increase to medium speed and mix for approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Frost the cupcakes with your favorite tip. I used an Ateco 828.
- Top with two pieces of cookie and crumbs.
*Using a sharp knife I cut the Oreos into quarters.
**If you don't like shortening then use butter only.
***Again using a sharp knife I cut the Oreos for garnish into quarters. I put them in a bowl along with all the crumbs that remained on the cutting board. I used the crumbs to sprinkle on the cupcakes.
Have a wonderful weekend. It’s supposed to be raining all weekend. Yuck! I guess I’ll make the most of it by getting some projects done whose deadlines are fast approaching. Once a procrastinator always a procrastinator.
Subscribe via email and never miss a post!
This post may be linked to these link parties.